Friday, December 13, 2013

Ratatouille food blog

Ratatouille; Not just a Movie

The other night I was sitting in my living room after a long day of school, flipping channels, and being a genuinely bored teenager. While flipping channels I stumbled upon the Disney movie Ratatouille, an adorable animation about a rat who cooks french food. Then it dawned on me, most people who watch the movie Ratatouille don't even know that it is a dish. I flipped out my smartphone and looked up "Ratatouille." Of course the first thing that pops up is a animated film, I scroll down and then I see the recipe for a delicious vegetable stew originating in Provence, Ratatouille. I found the solution to my boredom, I looked up the recipe and my mom and I began to cook up a storm

I was very interested in all the simplicity of the dish. The dish itself is very old, tracing back to 14th century. The main ingredients are zucchini, olive oil, tomatoes, and yellow squash. Since the dish does originate in the 14th century it makes me wonder how these ingredients play a role in the Columbian exchange.When I researched the ingredients I found that both olive oil and eggplant comes from the Old world to the New world. Tomatoes, yellow squash, zucchini were traded from New world to the Old world. All these delicious aspects combine to form an historic delicacy.

Once my dish was complete I had a beautiful masterpiece. The colors were so exuberant and the smell was unbelievable. For some protein, I added a piece of Cod on top, a fish that came from the Old world to the New world as well. It was certainly a Bon Appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment