Friday, December 13, 2013

The Mystery of The Pineapple-Sophie Fineberg

Hello world, this is Sophie, food critic extraordinaire. This weekend I was sitting at the dinner table when all of a sudden my mother placed a large cake in front of me. This is a reoccurring event in my house since my mother loves to bake. Usually she makes regular looking cakes but this cake had yellow circle on the top. I was confused about what these yellow circles were so I asked her. She told me the cake was made with pineapple. I was confused and a tad disgusted at the fact that there was fruit in the cake, especially pineapple because I am not a fan. I mean who would make a cake and then put fruit on it?  Even though I am a food critic I have never come in contact with a cake like this one. But I trusted my mother's taste and tried a piece. It was not as bad as I thought. I still wanted to know who thought of this idea and I knew my mother would have absolutely no idea so I turned to the only place I knew I would get the answer, The Internet.

I went online to search where this interesting delicacy came from and the first page that came up was about the Columbian Exchange. I had to click on the page because the thought of a pineapple cake originating from the Columbian exchange seemed a bit farfetched. It turns out that the website was not talking about the cake; it was talking about the pineapples. Since I had started reading the website I decided to finish it. It turns out that pineapples originated in the New World, specifically Southern Brazil and Paraguay, and travels all the way to the old world. This interregional trading system was called the Columbian Exchange and it occurred when the Europeans decided to send people over to the Americas.  Columbus decided to name it this because of its pine cone shape. As soon as this oddly shaped fruit reached the Old world it became popular and everyone wanted a taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment